Thursday, January 29, 2009

Floridas Winter Wonderland

Hallelujah! The cold front is gone!! we had about a week of intense freezing weather for us Floridians. I have gotten allot of comments about not being a true Canadian, but the truth is, after two years of the tropical Floridian heat, you would think that a girl would be acclimated by now. Canada can keep its cold winters, I'm quite enjoying my warm winter.

The temperature dropped down to 4 degrees Celsius on the coldest day, that would be about 39 degrees Fahrenheit for those of you who don't understand my language. On that particular day i caught mom turning on the oven with its door open just to heat up the house. and as i was laughing at the situation, she confessed that she had actually blow dried her already dried hair just to try and soak in a little extra warmth. I find it rather hilarious how pathetic our state of "freezing" was. All week i saw people in scarves, gloves, big sweaters, jackets and hats trying to keep warm (i admit i was one of those glove/large sweater wearers), it was funny looking around at the people in there state of climate shock, i think its good for us all to have a tiny taste of northern winter at least once a year. You know, i really really like Florida. Its funny that i say that too, because i used to hate it. it was way too hot, but now that I'm used to it i really like the weather. its so nice to have at least a month or two of cool weather, whereas the poor folks in places like Mexico (my grandparents) go through a whole year without getting any heat relief, even on through the next year. luckily for them they have air conditioning so at least they can keep a comfortable temperature in their house.

I cant really say our seasons here are anything like the incredible, colorful seasons of Colorado, but i have really come to appreciate a small change in season here and there. we have our rainy season, or dry and hot season, our cool season, the season where plants and flowers are at their best, and even then, Iv'e seen other plants at their best in a completely different season. I guess you learn to love where ever you are. Oh, and the beach! that has to be the biggest bonus about where we live right now. I can only say that now though because in the past i have hardly even gone to the beach at all. Lately i have realized how fortunate i really am, and have been taking every opportunity to go. I mostly just go running on the beach in the evenings when i have time, that has been Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays for me. One day i took my school work with me during my school hours and worked on some of my tan along with some of my education. i admit it was very distracting, but i really enjoyed it. Yesterday after i was done my school work i took my book of Mormon and read for about an hour before i had to get home for mutual. I get around on the buses with my trusty bus pass for transportation. I love my bus pass, my bus pass and i have a very serious relationship, i don't know what i would do without it. It has been the cause of many of my exciting getaways. I think I should give it a name...

Anyways, everything is all good now that Florida weather is back... Running hasn't been so cold anymore, and life continues to go on.

4 comments:

  1. Malia--
    I love your blog. I'm so excited you have one. I like reading what you're up to. I'm proud of you for being who you are and for staying with your team in hard times. Always know that you're a beautiful , amazing, mature young woman. I look up to you and all the great things you have done already in your life. Say hi to everyone for me!!
    Love Kyla (Sister Bodily)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I remember the days of School work on the beach, you are right- very distracting! I am glad to hear you are not taking the beach or Florida for granted. You never know when things will change. Such as never knowing when I will see my nieces again! You just can't take anything for granted can you? I love you so much and I am glad to see you are happy! Love love. Auntie Daysie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malia girl!!! I am so happy to have FINALLY found your blog, I didnt even know you had one until I read your moms yesterday. I am so proud of you , I hope that one day you can visit me down here in mexico!! I love you so much.. keep in touch
    your aunty Karita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana i cant wait to see you guys again. and you too kara! lucky me, i get to see kyla in august. its still forever away, but im still excited.

    ReplyDelete